To celebrate JordanCon’s “Homecoming” theme we present this Seachan Kaf Roast. Did you see the Solar Eclipse? That was a clear omen that you need to experience this full bodied recipe and prepare yourselves for The Return. But one good thing about foreign invaders – the food they bring!
kaf (KAAF): A Seanchan drink, brewed black and drunk steaming hot, sometimes sweetened but often not. A stimulating beverage.
“I regret that these lands do not know kaf,” he said, taking a seat at the table. “Even in Cantorin, only the Blood still have kaf. Or it was so when I left. Perhaps supply ships have arrived from Seanchan since. Tea must do. Fix me tea”
Seanchan Spice Rub
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup flour
- Dash of salt
- 1 tbs garlic powder
Kaf Sauce Base
- 1 cup coffee
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 6-8 cups beef broth
- 2 packages mushrooms
- 3 medium yellow onion
- 5 celery, chopped
- 3 cups baby carrots
- 2 turnips
- 1 bulb pealed garlic
Tucking the a’dam back into the bag, she cleaned the tea things to settle her mind. She liked tidiness, and there was a small satisfaction in making the kitchen so. Before she realized it she was brewing a pot of tea for herself. She did not want to think about Bethamin, and that was dangerously foolish too. Settling herself back at the table, she stirred honey into a cup of tea as black as she could make it. Not kaf, but it would do.
- Combine cinnamon, cayenne, sea salt, garlic, cumin, paprika, oregano, thyme, chili powder, ginger, black pepper, and cloves.Then add brown sugar and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Mix well. Set aside.
- Combine flour, dash salt, and 1 tbs garlic. Mix well. Set aside.
- Combine Red wine, dark coffee, Soy sauce and 2 cups beef broth (save remaining broth for later). Set aside.
- Chop the 3 onions, 5 stalks celery, 3 cups whole baby carrots, 2 turnips and 2 pkgs mushrooms. Set aside.
- Peal and press/smash whole garlic cloves. Set aside.
- Score Chuck Roast with a knife on all sides then massage with Seanchan Spice Rub. Dredge in flour mixture.
- Sear all sides in medium hot sauté pan with olive oil. Then place roast into roasting pan.
- Add 2 cups beef broth and other liquids to sauté pan (to deglaze), add mushrooms. Slowly stir in flour to thicken. Add remaining seasonings. Pour into roasting pan on sides of roast.
- Melt 1 stick of butter then add onion, celery, and garlic. Sauté 7 minutes. Pour into roasting pan.
- Add remaining root veggies and cover with remaining beef stock.
- Cover the pan and stick in oven.
- Check every 15 minutes for proper doneness. Meat still slightly pink, root veggies tender.
This post is dedicated to my mother Sheryl who is an amazing chef!